Title: Chief Financial Officer
Company: A leader in the distribution of construction materials, accessories and tools, primarily for professional concrete and masonry contractors in the United States and Canada.
Location: Denver, CO
Reporting Relationship: This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer with additional significant interaction with the Board of Directors and Private Equity Operating Partners.
Specific Responsibilities: As a key member of the Executive Management team, the Chief Financial Officer will report to the CEO and assume an important role in the overall management of the company. This leader will oversee all aspects of finance from the strategic to the operational, and be considered a critical thought-leader in the organization. The CFO needs to be commercial and strategic, with the ability to focus on the numbers as well as the processes. He/she must empower others in the organization with the data, tools, and resources needed to drive continuous improvement throughout every function of the business. Specifically, he/she will:
- Elevate the finance function so that it adds value above-and-beyond accurate and timely financial reporting. Through a keen understanding of the business and the complex and evolving market trends impacting it, develop a sophisticated finance strategy to proactively ensure continual growth, mitigate risk and capitalize on opportunities and areas for improvement. Become a trusted advisor to the Chief Executive Officer, Board of Directors and Private Equity Operating Partners. Maintain and/or improve upon the current high quality relating to the fundamentals of accounting, treasury, financial controls and financial reporting.
- Establish and monitor Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) most important to the success of this business. Identify all the business processes involved in these KPI’s and ensure the necessary IT and manual systems are in place to accurately monitor them. Ensure results are communicated in a timely and transparent way to relevant business leaders and that the results continually shape the strategy and planning of the business at large.
- Grow revenue from $400M in 2017 to +$1BN by 2020 (acquisition and organic). Enhance gross profit margins by more than 2.0%. Grow EBITDA from $24M in 2017 to at least $80M in 2020
- With the CEO and the Board, identify future acquisition targets, conduct due diligence, and integrate of future acquisitions. Integration includes migrating all acquisitions to a new ERP platform and ensure vendors/suppliers are rationalized/optimized.
- Build and retain a world-class finance team through the attraction, evaluation, training, and development of financial top quality talent.
- Provide accurate financial statements for both management use, as well as reporting. Accurately forecast business results. Leverage and enhance relationships within the investment community.
- Monitor regulations and ensure compliance of financial policies and practices are in accordance with federal, state industry regulations and guidelines; manage any required government agencies.
Qualifications: Qualified candidates must have the following:
- Proven track record of ten years senior finance leadership roles with at least five of those years as CFO over a company OR stand alone business unit with revenues of $500M
- Deep financial planning & analysis (FP&A) experience, with strengths in reporting, forecasting, modeling, and deep-dive business analyses.
- Strategic leadership experience with a deep mastery of core financial concepts, including accounting, cash management, profitability analysis, revenue recognition, financial modeling, treasury, and forecasting, balanced with sound business judgment.
- Experience identifying and tracking most important Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and utilizing the data to drive future strategy.
- Existing knowledge of ERP systems and/or implementations.
- Experience in a CFO role with either a) at least one private equity-backed company OR b) a highly-acquisitive non-private equity-backed company.
- Prior experience leading M&A deals and driving seamless acquisition integrations.
- Ten years of experience senior finance leadership experience in a geographically dispersed industrial distribution, equipment rental/leasing and/or multi-location distributed organizational structure.
- Deep understanding of managing branch-based service businesses, but with a proven track record of converting operating complexity to reporting simplicity.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required. MBA preferred.
Personal Characteristics: The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Ability to serve as a thought partner to the CEO, Board of Directors and Private Equity Operating Partners helping to inform, influence and drive key business decisions; ability to serve as a representative of the company from a financial, strategic and operational standpoint.
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to inform and influence at all levels internally and externally.
- Ability to analyze complex financial matters and simplify them down into concise recommendations.
- High energy, hands-on, and “roll up your sleeves” with the ability to work effectively with limited resources and has a high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Ability to foster relationships with regional teams and provide direct, actionable guidance on how to drive the business.
Compensation: The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package, which will be commensurate with experience and will include a base salary, bonus and equity.