Title: Chief Technology Officer, Digital Entertainment
Location: New York, New York; Los Angeles, California; or San Jose, California
Company: One of the world’s largest broadband and telecomm companies, and global leader delivering innovative communications and technology solutions
Relationship: This position reports to GM, Digital Entertainment
Specific Responsibilities: The Chief Technology Officer will lead our client’s video services technology product portfolio; shaping the long-term vision of the digital technology organization and driving the delivery of an innovative consumer offering across the multi-stream video platform. This role will be responsible for all aspects of technology from planning, tools, product development and integration to quality assurance and technical operations with an emphasis on talent development. This key executive will build a team and define the essence of the digital product. In addition to the above, this executive will:
- Think big and participate in defining the business unit’s overall vision, strategic direction and approaches to growth.
- Build a scalable, best-in-class technology organization that can support the development and long-term growth of the digital product bundle.
- Establish and maintain a technology plan that enables Digital Entertainment to be a disrupter in the online video space.
- Recruit top talent, build and motivate a technical team to deliver a scalable, cost-effective, multi-stream platform that integrates with our client’s digital media services’ current offerings, as well as engineer products that are innovative, high quality, secure, scalable and continuously improved.
- Lead the overall end-to-end technology strategy including architecture, software development, user interface design, testing, business intelligence, social features, distribution platforms, and product management.
- Understand and work through existing processes to get things done. Then work to improve, create and continually update operations, processes, and systems to stay in line with evolving content consumption and associated platforms/technologies.
- Deliver a scalable, cost-effective, multi-stream platform that integrates with current digital media services’ current offerings.
- Communicate the technology strategy to other technology organizations across business, and collaborate to maximize the utilization of common technology platforms within the Digital Entertainment’s architecture.
- Define strategic technology components and develop intellectual property that enables sustainable differentiation of Digital Entertainment’s products.
- Create a single infrastructure that supports digital product’s multi-stream domain and distribution platform to syndicate the digital product’s networks.
- Serve as a catalyst and facilitator of a collaborative development process for our client’s multi-stream video model, ensuring the successful launches of current and new offerings as well as successful integrations and deployments.
- Work closely with product, marketing, strategy and programming peers to establish plans and execute them to achieve short term and long term business objectives.
- Embrace unique market opportunities and translate these into ground breaking / mass-market product offerings that resonate with our client’s customers.
- Managing diverse, concurrent projects of varying complexities for on time and scope delivery within budget.
- Successfully supported and provided best-in-class delivery and service, as well as performance management transparency within digital media or video streaming industry. Ideally, has built from the ground floor the development of a complex/highly respected consumer platform with a video component with implementations requiring complex integrations within digital media and distribution technology applications.
- Prior experience in content delivery as a hands-on manager of a team of at least 25, preferably 50.
- Has supported the launch of at least two game changing, innovative/disruptive technologies at scale.
- 10+ years experience with media and entertainment technology, with at least five years in a management position driving efficiencies and building best-in-class processes and work-flows of a digital software platform.
- Direct experience implementing scalable and agile operations with notable success measurements.
- Has seamlessly and collaboratively partnered an engineering team with the other organizational pillars of a company to define processes and practices that lead to efficient, consistent and high quality content management and delivery.
- Transformed a team into a best-in-class, high-performing organization, with preference for those who have built and led a team of at least 30 people from the ground up.
- Experience starting new businesses from within large corporations is preferred.
- Track record of building world-class teams by recruiting, retaining and promoting exceptional talent in a fast paced and aggressive growth environment.
- Track record of creating a positive culture, with high morale, followership and strong performance.
- Demonstrated success delivering business value through applying innovative and analytical, problem solving techniques.
- Embodies an incredible passion for consumer product and services subject matter, applications, and content.
- High comfort level with ambiguity and fluidity and the ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment while achieving quality results.
Education: BA or MS in electrical engineering or computer science from a top-tier university.
Personal Characteristics: The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Strategic thinking ability, who is smart and creative, will have the experience to design and execute a strategic roadmap for a business unit that operates within a dynamic marketplace.
- Low ego needs and ability to lead through influence.
- Motivational leadership style, with a penchant for leading by example, disciplined action and driving results. Balances internal management and external focus that consistently defines and resolves customer’s needs.
- Extraordinary speaking and communication skills; commanding presence, with the ability to influence constituencies across internal functions, customers and partners.
- An executive with deep integrity, a team-centered orientation, and a collaborative approach to problem solving.
- A flexible leader who can navigate the company through complex and diverse situations.
- Proven team building, relationship management, strategy development, project management, problem solving and change management experience.
Compensation: The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package, which will be commensurate with experience, and will include a base salary, annual target bonus, and equity.