Title: Corporate Controller
Location: Southern California
Company: global independent operator of freestanding veterinary hospitals
Relationship: This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer
Specific Responsibilities: The Corporate Controller is a key member of the company’s senior management staff, and is responsible for all accounting and financial reporting activities, including internal and external reporting. He/She will lead the accounting and financial reporting staff; create, implement, and enforce the company’s finance related policies and procedures; identify and implement financial systems, financial reporting and operational controls; oversee internal and external financial audits; and also maintain and direct the day-to-day activities of the accounting and financial reporting teams. In addition he/she will:
- Ensure proper maintenance of the General Ledger.
- Oversee or carry out, as needed, the preparation and execution of all processes necessary for the preparation of the financial statements.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation and distribution of the company’s internal and external financial reports both on a consolidated and stand-alone basis in accordance with generally accepted accounting methods, principles and practices.
- Supervise and partner with company tax professionals in implementing accounting requirements, including systems, processes, and controls to support the company’s state, federal, international, property, and sales tax reporting and assists in proper tax planning in order to minimize tax ramifications of transactions.
- Develop, implement, and oversee financial controls, as needed, including testing of controls. Prepare and maintain documentation on the company’s accounting systems procedures and internal controls.
- Ensure appropriate controls and financial procedures are in place across the Company and are consistently enforced and that all financial functions are performed in compliance with current legal and regulatory guidelines.
- Play a key role in long-term systems planning and implementation in alignment with the Company’s strategic plans. Partner with IT in developing tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the Executive Management Team/Top Team and the Board of Directors.
- Provide management with any and all accounting and financial information necessary for making policy decisions.
- Prepare and deliver various analyses reports and presentations.
- Develop and mentor the direct team, and manage work allocation, training, problem resolution, and performance evaluation.
Qualifications: Qualified candidates must have the following:
- Ten or more years of progressive accounting and managerial experience.
- At least 5 years as Controller or Assistant Controller of a $500 million standalone multisite, consumer facing company or best-in-class division that operates autonomously and independently from the parent company.
- Proven ability to excel in high-growth, acquisitive environments, while managing a team of at least 20+ finance professionals.
- Has a deep mastery on core financial concepts including US GAAP accounting and financial reporting concepts, including in depth understanding internal controls over financial reporting.
- Track record of leading through service in a complex, matrix environment, and developing the team and the organization for the betterment of the whole (patients and employees).
- Hard working. Approachable and down to earth. Enjoys being very hands-on. Desire to “roll up your sleeves” and understand every aspect of the organization to lead supportively and effectively.
- Easily recognizes individual employee strengths and opportunities for improvement, and provides opportunity for promotion or additional training/development.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field; CPA strongly preferred.
Personal Characteristics: The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Servant leader. Low ego and the ability to lead through influence with a balance of confidence and humility. Adaptable and trustworthy. Is fair and shares praise.
- Strong people skills. Adept at listening/counseling and guiding members of the organization, at all levels, appropriately.
- Hard working with a strong work ethic to match. History of getting things done.
- Motivational leadership style, with a penchant for leading by example, disciplined action and driving results. Balances internal management and external focus that consistently defines and resolves the business’ needs.
- An executive with deep integrity, a team-centered orientation, and a collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Grounded and humble, yet able to take a stand as appropriate.
- Master of organization. Passionate about systems, reports; how they can be better, and assessing if they are being used and if/how they are guiding decisions.
Compensation: The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package, which will be commensurate with experience, and will include a base salary, annual target bonus, and equity.