About: The Director of Product will sit in the Consumer Products & Solutions business unit.
Our Client: Our client is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government, and wholesale customers. The Wireless business operates America’s most reliable wireless network, with over 114 million retail connections nationwide. The company also provides converged communications, information, and entertainment services over America’s most advanced fiber-optic network and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries.
Your Charter: The Director of Product will be the responsible for building out new roadmaps (particularly focused Innovation and User Experience) for those assets that will enable new revenue streams for the company over the next 2-5 years, as well as lifecycle management and driving revenue through our existing consumer products. This leader will sit at the intersection of user experience, technology and business and understand how to drive across all three. The Director, Product will be responsible for bringing new products, from V1 products to full stand up businesses, to market. S/he will provide thought leadership with our most senior commercial and technical leaders in product, as well as the Wireless business unit by defining and landing a strategic vision, and business models and roadmaps to ensure Wireless success in the long term. This is a key leadership position, with responsibility spanning across a $1 billion dollar portfolio of products, with emphasis on long-term strategy, innovation and growth. Additional responsibilities to include:
- Develop and land business strategies for products with an eye towards impacts and implications on user experience, product releases, business models, and offer development.
- Partner with the product teams and leadership of each line of business to help define the go-to-market strategy, helping them understand product positioning, key benefits, as well as target markets and customers.
- Lead and execute product management through influence and collaboration across delivery resources. Partner with other functions, including engineering, marketing, sales, and customer service, to produce the best quality product, services, and applications as a team.
- Create a structure and process for strategic decision making and planning around product development and launch.
- Protect product integrity; establish priorities and make smart, decisive tradeoffs.
- Analyze potential partner relationships for the product.
- Define and own the delivery of the market requirements documents and product requirements documents.
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Assess and assist in managing the product portfolios, and manage our investments in sustaining businesses.
- Drive rapid and effective execution of innovative ideas, products, solutions, and processes through thought leadership and decisive action.
- Strategize on product and/or feature concept creation and strategy to build a pipeline of innovative products and services.
- Manage the product line life cycle from strategic planning, product definition and user experience to tactical delivery.
- Lead insights development and partner with other data teams across marketing and engineering to craft the insights needed to support marketing activities, product satisfaction and roadmap direction.
- Craft recommendations and partner across the organization to drive the implementation of your recommendations to completion. Ground recommendations with deep user insights derived through internal and external data sources, creating a solid data fact base to help land your ideas.
- Strategically utilize research and analytics of the external environment to understand market dynamics, trends, size, segmentation, customer needs, applicable and emerging technologies, and the competitive landscape.
- Lead a high-performing, motivated team to develop a culture that drives innovation and strategic growth, taking calculated risks.
- Responsible for cultivating and promoting a highly collaborative development environment; assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and teams.
- 10+ years of product management experience. At least four years leading a large-scale consumer products and/or services of at least $75 million and a product team of at least five.
- Five years of experience in a top consumer brand, with an emphasis on developing innovative technologies that drive and shape consumer habits.
- Demonstrated ability to lead through influence, build engagement and partner across a diverse set of stakeholders including development, network, finance, strategy, marketing, advertising and sales teams.
- Strong sales collaboration and ability to integrate customer requirements. Proven experience translating products’ technical advantages into marketing differentiators.
- Embodies an incredible passion for consumer product and services subject matter, applications, and content. Understands emerging technologies and how the company can leverage them to address customer needs.
- Demonstrated success shaping product vision and strategy, as well as experience bringing several highly innovative, compelling, and profitable products to market.
- Proven track record of defining, launching and growing new products and/or services.
- Ability to predict market trends and focus on high impact initiatives that capitalize on future opportunities. Expertise in revenue planning and forecasting.
- Strategic thinking ability, who is smart and creative, will have the experience to design and execute a strategic roadmap for a business unit that operates within a dynamic marketplace.
- Low ego needs and ability to lead through influence.
- Motivational leadership style, with a penchant for leading by example, disciplined action and driving results. Balances internal management and external focus that consistently defines and resolves customer’s needs.
- Hands-on, “roll up your sleeves” mindset, with the ability to be a driver and change agent in an organization. Proven ability to lead through influence without a direct line of authority.
- Extraordinary speaking and communication skills; commanding presence, with the ability to influence constituencies across internal functions, customers and partners.
- An executive with deep integrity, a team-centered orientation, and a collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Self-starter and comfortable with independent execution.
- Ability to take calculated risks.
- An analytical thinker and problem solver who fosters fact-based arguments.
- Thrives in a face paced environment and comfort dealing with ambiguity. A flexible leader who can navigate the company through complex and diverse situations.
- Ability to provide and receive straightforward feedback.
Compensation: The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package, which will be commensurate with experience, and will include a base salary, annual target bonus, and equity.