Title: Director, Contracts and BDS Finance
Location: Washington D.C. (Arlington)
Company: one of the world’s leading aerospace companies
Relationship: This role reports to the Vice President, Finance
Key Responsibilities: The Director of Contracts and Finance provides contracting leadership services and support for the $5.7B and $1B divisions. The position supports the business in establishing and executing strategies to capture new business, reviews major proposals prior to submission, and monitors performance during execution.
More specifically, the Director will:
- Oversee execution on a daily basis and meet external customer goals, adhering to all internal policies, processes and procedures and establishing and making progress towards long-term growth goals and strategies.
- Be a decision maker on proposed specific contractual terms and conditions, basis of estimates and profit margins bid for future business contracts that become the foundation of meeting the LRBP commitments.
- Lead and partner with highly matrixed structure with strong relationships across multiple organizational, functional, engineering, program management, supplier management, and field offices to successfully drive and influence the strategic planning and execution of this program.
- Ensure compliance with the company and policies and procedures for all C&E functions across multiple sites and businesses within a respective region.
- Serve as C&E functional interface between the Business and Corporate for all contracting and estimating matters.
- Create and implement contracting and estimating strategies which support the businesses meeting the LRBP commitment in coordination with the businesses managing customer relations with DCMA/DCAA.
- Establish, implement and maintain an org. structure and operating rhythm which promote sharing of C&E resources across business needs while providing opportunities for development for C&E personnel.
Qualifications: Potential candidates must possess the following to be considered for the opportunity:
- Deep knowledge and understanding of contracting in predominantly defensive environment; commercial experience would be a bonus.
- Working knowledge of government contracting and defense environment; worked with aerospace and defense sector.
- Minimum of five years in a strategic leadership role, managing a team of at least five direct reports. Experience hiring and managing a team of contracts professionals with proven ability to effectively provide guidance to the business unit leaders as it applies to contracts. In addition, 5 years in leadership role with proven ability to manage through all phases of risk assessment on government contracts up through implementation.
- Five years in an influential role; advising senior management on major opportunities and recommending pricing methodologies, strategies, and positions for pricing and reimbursement strategies.
- Experience with implementing or improving upon processes and systems for the contracts function.
- Ability to anticipate trends and consequences accurately.
- Minimum of 10 years contracts management and compliance experience with Prime and Tier 1 suppliers in the defense and commercial industries. Preference for experience with the full suite of contract management, including a deep understanding of import/export and ITAR contracts.
- A strong understanding of the federal procurement process, from solicitation and contract award through contract closeout.
- A working knowledge of government pricing and cost accounting principles and a strong understanding of government and commercial value propositions.
- Knowledge of government customer, commercial and defense satellite customers, weapon systems businesses as well as the newly formed autonomous systems (growing area of the business primarily populated by small subsidiary companies)
Personal Characteristics: The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Ability to build organization-wide relationships to move initiatives forward and positions ideas to enhance likelihood for success.
- Exceptional communication skills that tailor communication style to engage audience and convey the rationale for decisions. Translates aspirations and strategy into action steps and creates commitment to the plan.
- Results oriented, with ability to take calculated risks after making fact-based decisions to improve organizational performance. Tracks and measures results against external best practices.
- Ability to use key business goals and strategies to make decisions that address key business threats and opportunities.
- Excellent teaming mentality and ability to model collaboration in building plans and strategies to enhance organizational clarity. Adapts management style to enable optimal team performance
- Strong personal and professional values, impeccable integrity, and the energy level and stamina required to meet the demands of the position.
Education: Bachelors degree is required; Masters is preferred