Title: Director, Corporate Security
Location: Southern California
Company: One of the largest electric utilities in the United States, serving more than 14 million people. The utility has more than 12,000 employees and has been providing electric service for over 125 years. The company is a recognized industry leader in renewables, energy efficiency and distributed energy resource development.
The Company is strongly committed to diversity and serving all its communities with clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Relationship: This position reports to the Vice President of Safety, Security and Business Resiliency
The Director of Corporate Security is the leader of the corporate/physical security function for all of the Company, including responsibility for overall corporate security strategy, NERC security compliance, security architecture development, and governance and oversight. The scope of this role covers all utilized security technologies and services, including protection services, perimeter defenses, physical and logical access control, and profile management of all employees, contractors, and visitors. As the company’s senior security officer, this person also has enterprise-level responsibility for all security policies, standards, evaluations, roles, and corporate awareness. He/she will lead a team of 45 plus an additional 850 contract resources. Excellent technical, team building, and communications skills are a must, as well as proven security leadership experience.
The Director of Corporate Security works to develop and implement a security strategy designed to provide a high level of security over physical facilities including National Critical Infrastructure. The Director of Corporate Security must be able to develop and implement flexible security solutions, dictated by the needs of a hybrid and rapidly evolving decentralized business environment. The Director must be a results-oriented person who can achieve tangible improvements in the corporate security arena.
The Director of Corporate Security is responsible for directing the activities of all security functions.
- Drive for results by communicating a clear, specific vision; taking a genuine interest in people; and holding themselves and others accountable.
- Builds a cohesive team and develops strong relationships both internally and externally.
- Consistently strengthens and sustains our safety culture, communicates with openness and respect and creates and fosters an inclusive work environment.
- Works closely with corporate executives, business managers, audit and legal counsel to understand corporate requirements related to security and regulatory compliance, and to map those requirements to current security projects.
- Develop, implement, and manage the overall enterprise process for security strategy and associated architecture and engineering standards.
- Develop and implement policies, standards and guidelines related to corporate security.
- Oversee the continuous monitoring and protection of facilities and personnel. Evaluates suspected security breaches and recommend corrective actions (including incidents involving outside vendors).
- Serves as the enterprise focal point for security incident response planning and execution.
- Defines and implements an ongoing Risk Assessment program, which will define, identify, and classify critical assets; assess threats and vulnerabilities regarding those assets, and implement safeguard recommendations.
- Assist in the review of technology environments during the development or process to (a) assure compliance with corporate security policies and directions and (b) assist in the overall integration process regarding the technology environment.
- Oversee the development of, and be the enterprise champion of, a corporate security awareness and training program.
- Evaluate changes to the corporate environment for security impact and present findings to management.
- Identify protection goals, objectives and metrics consistent with corporate strategic plan.
- Manage the development and implementation of security policy, standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of security. Physical protection responsibilities will include asset protection, workplace violence prevention, access control systems, video surveillance, employee education and awareness, and more.
- Work with other executives to prioritize security initiatives and spending based on appropriate risk management and/or financial methodology.
- Maintain relationships with local, state and federal law enforcement and other related government agencies.
- Oversee incident response planning as well as the investigation of security breaches, and assist with disciplinary and legal matters associated with such breaches as necessary.
- Work with outside consultants as appropriate for independent security audits.
Qualifications: Potential candidates must possess the following to be considered for the opportunity:
- Eight to ten years of senior leadership experience of which five years were in law enforcement or security-related arena.
- Corporate Security leadership experience in a large organization with at least 4,000 employees and a minimum of four locations.
- Strong leader with an influential style that creates followership and quickly garners respect. Builds a shared vision; inspires others to action; sets clear direction; establishes plans consistent with that direction.
- Prior experience leading an organization through a cultural transformation strongly preferred.
- Displays broad perspective and effective judgment, demonstrates well-reasoned problem solving and decision-making.
- Experience leading and developing cross functional teams of at least 25 and 200+ including contract resources. Proven track record of building cohesive teams.
- At least five years of experience in a highly regulated industry (e.g. oil and gas, telecom, pharmaceuticals, etc.) with utilities / energy experience preferred.
- Expertise in identifying protection goals, objectives and metrics consistent with corporate strategic plan.
- Experience leading the development and implementation of security policies, standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of security. Physical protection responsibilities will include asset protection, workplace violence prevention, access control systems, video surveillance, training and awareness.
- Prior experience leading the development and implementation of NERC compliance solutions for registered entities.
- Demonstrated success collaborating with other executives to prioritize security initiatives and spending based on appropriate risk management and/or financial methodology.
- Ability to develop and leverage relationships with local, state and federal law enforcement and other related government agencies.
- Has experience providing governance and oversight of incident response planning as well as the investigation of security breaches, threat management, and assist with disciplinary and legal matters associated with such breaches as necessary.
- Ability to work with outside consultants as appropriate for independent security audits.
- Prior experience working for one or more of the U.S. Intelligence Community organizations is a plus.
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain a Security Clearance.
Personal Characteristics: The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
Communication/Personal Impact/Project Leadership:
- Strong ability to consistently inspire and motivate a direct and matrixed organization.
- Possesses executive level communication skills including strong presentation abilities. Can craft and deliver presentations that engage the audience (internal or external) and efficiently drive a decision-making process.
- Catalyzing dialogue, helping to shape thinking and doing the work to gain support of others.
- Positively managing conflict and projecting substance over form.
- Not being hierarchical or political and respecting the company’s informal web of decision making, building internal relationships accordingly.
- Favoring collaboration with others to jointly address issues and opportunities.
- Using outstanding verbal and written communication skills and being able to articulate views crisply and convincingly. The candidate will also adapt his/her style to have the greatest impact on a wide range of audiences.
Strategic Vision/Thought Leadership:
- Thrives in environments undergoing significant transformation and growth. High degree of comfort with ambiguity and change.
- Being able to step back from day-to-day activities to view the business from a unique perspective and see the bigger picture.
- Strong, creative problem-solving capabilities.
- Making decisions thoughtfully, despite the complexity of the issues or the pressure involved.
- Building credible and practical strategies to achieve the desired vision and outcome.
- Being intellectually curious and showing genuine excitement and enthusiasm for creative ideas.
- Ability to leverage learning across different technologies, disciplines and situations.
- Creating an environment where established ways of thinking can be provocatively and constructively challenged and evolved.
- Acting as a “sounding board,’’ sharing ideas, evaluating, reacting and helping create traction.
- Initiating innovative ideas and taking ownership of team projects when appropriate.
- Leading teams with disciplined and systematic program/process management skills, moving smoothly from identification/evaluation of strategic options through practical implementation.
- Action-oriented, self-starter that is hands-on, disciplined, and organized. Leads by example.
- Pragmatic and practical. Highly focused on how to get things accomplished. Constantly having an eye to the practicality and bottom-line impact of recommended strategies. Pushing back appropriately and developing constructive ways to overcome problems.
- Effectively combining high-level strategy with the granular, detailed application of initiatives.
- Demonstrating a real sense of urgency, yet remaining calm under pressure.
- Being well-organized and rigorous in prioritization of issues and projects.
Education: Bachelor degree or equivalent experience. Master’s degree, or equivalent experience, preferred.
Certifications: Security Clearance and Professional certification (CPP, CFE) and leadership experience at a national level is preferred. Must be a U.S. Citizen and have the ability to obtain a security clearance if not already a current holder.
Compensation: The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package, which will be commensurate with experience, and will include a base salary, bonus, long-term incentive and a comprehensive benefits plan.