Title: Director, Phantom Works Operations
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Company: one of the world’s leading aerospace companies
Division: Division of the company’s Defense, Space and Security business
Relationship: This role reports to the Vice President of Operations, Defense, Space & Security
Reports: Five to ten direct reports at the executive, manager levels; 100-150 total reports.
Key Responsibilities: The Director, Operations will lead the manufacturing operations function for a division of the Defense, Space and Security business. They are a member of two operations leadership teams. The division is primarily responsible for development of winning proposals for key pursuits and maturing advanced technologies and capabilities that have applicability across the company’s product portfolio. In support of these activities, leads a significant portion of prototyping activities.
More specifically, the Director will:
- Ensuring manufacturing excellence across all activities with a keen focus on breaking the traditional product development cost curve.
- They are responsible for representing the Operations, Quality, and Environmental, Health and Safety functions on the divisional leadership team, serving as the assigned leader for all manufacturing managers, technicians and support staff, and overseeing all active manufacturing work areas.
- Within Operations, they are responsible for ensuring the deployment of common operating and production systems across programs that drives systemic improvements in Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost, Innovation and People that enable the company to continue its journey to becoming a global industrial champion.
- Heavy involvement in many competitive U.S. government campaigns as well as classified/restricted activities.
Qualifications: Potential candidates must possess the following to be considered for the opportunity:
- Technically competent in operations areas including manufacturing, production engineering, quality, and lean.
- Highly analytical, with proven success driving operational excellence and ensuring that processes are being executed throughout the organization. Can provide examples of improved efficiency, productivity, and quality.
- Strong understanding of root cause analysis to optimize operational efficiency and productivity. Proven ability to quickly assess the business and identify key issues affecting the business performance.
- Fifteen years of experience in manufacturing operations in an organization with revenues of $1 billion or more. Over seven years of management experience.
- Experience managing an operations business with revenues of at least $500 million.
- Demonstrated success deploying and integrating common operating and production systems (across business units) that drive systemic improvements in Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost, Innovation and People.
- Exceptional communication skills to inform and influence at all levels internally and externally. Possesses a balance of collaborative leadership style with a bias for action and execution.
- Strong leadership and the ability to develop a winning culture where safety, engagement, accountability and innovation are highly valued.
- Has successfully built teams and developed leadership talent. Has created a “team” environment, bringing together diverse backgrounds, ideas, and skill sets to produce intended results
- Demonstrated track record of recruiting, retaining and promoting world class executives and managers. Has the experience, knowledge and tools to drive performance management. Must be accomplished at targeting and achieving results, goal setting, prioritizing tasks, overcoming obstacles, establishing team standards and responsibilities and creating a results-focused environment.
- Strategic, forward thinking transformational leader with an entrepreneurial drive. Thrives in and creates a fast-paced, collaborative and growth-oriented culture. Strong track record of mentoring, coaching and creating opportunities for professional growth within the organization.
- Exposure to the government acquisition process and the ability to maintain a U.S. Security Clearance with Special Access Program / Special Access Required (SAP/SAR) accesses required (existing clearance strongly preferred).
- Willing to undergo a polygraph.
- U.S. citizenship required.
Education: Bachelors degree is required; Masters is preferred