Title: Division Controller
Location: Southern California
Company: leading provider of a broad range of communication and electronic systems and products used on military, homeland security and commercial platforms
Relationship: This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
Specific Responsibilities: The Division Controller will provide effective financial control and support for the division through the management of their Accounting, Property & Inventory Control departments. He/she will drive process improvements within the finance organization, create and implement policies and procedures to improve the control environment and provide increased transparency of results. The Division Controller will provide guidance and support in consolidating, reporting and analyzing monthly results. In addition, provide insightful analysis to drive the development of challenging objectives and the action plans to achieve them. Finally, this executive will build organizational capability within the finance function and provide financial leadership and direction to the operations and its leadership team in the pursuit of business goals and objectives.
More specifically, the Division Controller will:
- Recommend sound financial goals and commitments for providing accurate historical and prospective financial data for management use,
- Provide financial counsel to company management, as well as oversight of items such as capital and overhead budgets, facility lease accounting, cash forecasts, and pro forma analyses.
- Make recommendations on financial strategies concerning improving short- and long-term profit margins.
- Develop and implement financial practices and procedures in accordance with Corporate and government requirements and implement operational and financial audit processes to ensure compliance with company and government requirements, coordinating with government agencies on financial matters and accounting procedures.
- Ensure that division is compliant with all applicable US laws & regulations in regard to financial reporting and results, including Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Prepares and provides financial status reports, plans relating to cash flow, profits, direct and indirect expense, sales, overhead, and manpower.
- Manages the company’s accounting system and the resolution of accounting problems ensuring prompt payment of billings.
- Establishes operational and financial audits to ensure compliance with company and government requirements.
- Coordinates with government agencies on financial matters concerning contracts, accounting procedures.
- Provides financial status reports and counsel to company management.
- Makes decisions on budgets, forecasts, and financial practices and procedures.
- Interprets financial statements and reports; Identifies potential liabilities.
- Build organizational capability within the Finance function across the division. Ensure that top talent is hired and retained. Provide training opportunities for finance employees and give honest and open feedback to aid in the development of Finance talent.
- Interface actively with the divisional finance leaders, Sector and Corporate finance teams (tax, audit, treasury, etc) and Senior Leadership Team.
Qualifications: Qualified candidates must have the following:
- 10+ years of accounting and finance experience ideally with prior management experience in a manufacturing company with at least $100 million in revenue, preferably at a senior level.
- 5+ years in an industrial manufacturing environment; 3+ years experience with a public company.
- In-depth knowledge of the principles of accounting and finance; financial planning, budgeting and forecasting; cost accounting; auditing; and related contract requirements. Experience with Government contracts is preferred.
- Experience with contract project accounting, program financial analysis, and percentage of completion revenue recognition.
- Prior experience in public accounting, including a “Big 4” accounting firm is ideal, but not required.
- Has worked with individuals required to prepare statutory reporting requirements and prepared financial documents to support these filings.
- Experience in a company with a strong SOX / Internal Controls environment.
- Track record of driving process improvement and efficiencies across the organization through the implementation of standardizations and best practices.
- Ability to prepare schedules to support tax package submissions, cash management and forecasting.
- Comprehensive knowledge of GAAP and FASB accounting standards, and Sarbanes-Oxley regulations and compliance, a CPA or MBA is preferred.
- Ability to plan, organize, and manage a multi-department financial organization.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience building reporting, processes and working in a large scale ERP environment that drive operational excellence and optimal financial performance.
- Has overseen financial closing process, led management reporting function, and improved management’s ability to make decisions by improving timeliness, accuracy, and quality of reporting.
- Individual contributor for developing profit and strategic plans, and ensuring company tracking to long and short term targets.
Personal Characteristics: The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Executive Gravitas: Outgoing and confident with executive presence and the ability to work effectively with the President and senior management team. A natural strong personality who can partner and take the initiative.
- Character: High degree of maturity, integrity, and personal self-confidence.
- Business Acumen: Demonstrated business judgment with the desire and capability to be an integral part of the senior management team.
- Analytical Skills: Data-driven and highly analytical with demonstrated proficiency in financial planning and analysis, business valuation, and acquisition due diligence.
- Leadership Capability: Ability to build and motive a team to improve the team’s performance and contributions to the organization.
- Communication Skills: Builds consensus for new ideas and initiatives and in communicating effectively with personnel and groups at all organization levels.
- Hands-On: Detailed-oriented with the willingness and ability to contribute as both a leader and a member of the team. Ability to originate action to improve existing conditions and processes, identifying improvement opportunities, generating innovative ideas, and implementing solutions.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration is required.
Compensation: The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package, which will be commensurate with experience.