Title: Head of Investment Accounting
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA
Company: A registered investment and retirement services provider
Key Responsibilities: The Head of Investment Accounting is a key member of our client’s senior management staff, and will be responsible for leading the restructuring of the investment accounting function. S/he will build a world class investment accounting team that supports the daily accounting and information requirements of a rapidly growing asset manager as well as the monthly/quarterly accounting and information requirements. The Head of Investment Accounting will function as a strategic thought partner to senior leadership and will:
- Build a high caliber investment accounting function to satisfy the accounting and reporting requirements of an asset manager and its insurance company clients by designing the optimal staffing structure and hiring a team of qualified investment accountants.
- Transition the existing investment accounting function to company headquarters.
- Define, implement and oversee the execution of all business control processes required to enable the investment accounting function to satisfy the daily accounting and reporting needs of the asset manager and support the monthly/quarterly financial and statutory accounting and reporting requirements of the insurance company.
- Develop plans and policies to enhance existing business control processes and implement new business control processes to achieve improved operational efficiencies and greater levels of service.
- Work closely with investment operations team to implement a daily “soft close” process.
- Work closely with Finance team to support their monthly and quarterly accounting close processes to enable GAAP and STAT reporting.
- Work with internal controls team to maintain systems and business control processes that mitigate operational risk and meet satisfy all internal and external regulatory requirements (e.g., SOX/SOC 1) and industry standards.
- At least ten years of progressive accounting and managerial experience.
- Five years of senior leadership experience as the investment accounting manager in an asset management organization with at least $30B AUM.
- Has a deep mastery of core financial concepts including US GAAP reporting and NAIC statutory accounting standards. In depth understanding of SEC financial reporting requirements as well as SOX (or SOC 1) and internal controls over financial reporting.
- Experience with insurance regulatory and rating agency capital frameworks.
- Experience researching relevant accounting guidance (e.g., FASB, NAIC) and developing accounting policies that satisfy applicable accounting requirements and align with organizational business objectives.
- Proven experience in either transforming an existing Accounting and Finance organization or building it from scratch.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and retain best-in-class talent who thrive in fast-paced environments. Track record of success maximizing the effectiveness of organizational structures and internal processes.
- High energy, hands-on, and “roll up your sleeves” attitude with the ability to build out a high caliber investment accounting team, operate in a quickly changing environment and self-initiate.
- Prior experience managing a team of at least ten.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with executive management and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to inform and influence at all levels of the organization. Proven ability to analyze complex financial matters and simplify them down into concise recommendations.
- Proven experience as a driver of effective change that thrives in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Previous experience optimizing financial systems to increase efficiency and provide diverse levels of information in a timely fashion.
- Experience using PAM for Investments accounting package or another investment accounting software package.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field required; CPA is strongly preferred and MBA or CFA would be a plus.
Compensation: The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package, which will commensurate with experience.