Title: Head of Strategy – Wireline
Company: The company is located on the east coast and is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government, and wholesale customers.
Reporting Relationship: This position reports to the Vice President of Wireline Strategy & Planning.
Specific Responsibilities: This executive will be responsible for planning and directing the company’s wireline strategic and medium-range goals, focusing on executing the bold vision that will lead to a sustainable competitive advantage. He/she will work across the organization to identify and analyze key strategic questions that either underpin decisions made by the company’s executive leadership or are of critical importance to them. This leader will cover a broad range of issues impacting the telecom, media and technology sector and will recommend innovative, game-changing actions. Specific responsibilities to include:
- Lead cross-functional teams to develop medium-term business unit growth strategies and business cases with emphasis on financial modeling and competitive analysis, that drive transformational growth from inception through execution.
- Contribute to development of an integrated business strategy and partner with business unit leaders in developing, implementing, and executing across a variety of strategic initiatives.
- Identify, prioritize, structure and solve complex business problems based upon thorough analyses and technology assessments.
- Expertly manage communication with the business teams, facilitating ideation sessions and assisting product / brand teams in the discovery and understanding of the business opportunities.
- Manage all additional work needed to refine solution hypotheses before they are ready for preliminary assessment.
- Serve as a business expert, help capture all internal innovation projects and facilitate the rapid sharing of best practices.
- Lead research engagements to develop and articulate perspectives on mid-term topics and provide thought leadership.
- Serve as the critical resource and subject matter expert in the discovery, evaluation and selection of growth businesses and partner with the M&A team to inform inorganic strategy and complete required due diligence.
- Provide recommendations to senior management and business leaders based on emerging trends, expansion opportunities, competitive threats, viability of outside business partners, and internal business process improvement.
- Navigate a complex organizational structure and continuously bring forward an outside-in view that challenges internal thinking and provides objective views of opportunities and risks.
- Leverage in-depth consumer and market data, translating consumer-driven understandings into business observations and recommended actions that drive growth.
- Maintain a variety of models, unit economic analysis, capital investment customer cohorts, etc.
- Strategically utilize external research and analytics to understand market dynamics, trends, size, segmentation, customer needs, applicable and emerging technologies, and the competitive landscape.
- Lead the development of strategic frameworks, customer and competitor insights, technology trend assessments and business cases to ensure the leadership team is engaging in the right strategic conversations.
- Apply data-based analytical thinking to understand and respond to external marketplace trends and to frame medium-term operational levers, including distribution, customer care and network operations.
- Lead a high-performing, motivated team and drive best-in-class project management and operational support for marketing products and services; and, lead national process improvement initiatives.
- Cultivate and promote a highly collaborative environment; assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and teams.
- Relies upon a consultative approach in all partnerships that provides financial and analytical expertise, and identifies synergies amongst Wireline BU strategic plans.
- Fosters and facilitates alignment across the business, field leadership, executives and corporate partners.
Qualifications: Qualified candidates must have the following:
- Ten years of business unit / corporate strategy or consulting experience at a top-tier management consulting or services company.
- Significant experience defining multi-year business plans, including scenario planning, ROI analyses, market assessments, capability modeling and operating model development.
- Minimum of seven years of experience working with enterprise or business clients.
- Demonstrated experience in execution of product development, strategic planning and regulatory compliance.
- Proven success influencing product vision and strategy, as well as experience leading multiple projects or major work streams to deliver on the strategy.
- Strong track record of developing innovative technology strategies that drive and shape consumer habits.
- Knowledge of the company’s product portfolio required; wireline domain expertise or relevant experience preferred.
- Ability to lead through influence, build engagement and partner across a diverse set of stakeholders including development, network, finance, strategy, marketing, advertising and sales teams.
- Embodies an incredible passion for consumer and enterprise product and services subject matter, applications and content.
- Understands emerging technologies and how the company can leverage them to address customer needs.
- Stellar presentation skills and gravitas.
- Ability to predict market trends and focus on high-impact initiatives that capitalize on future opportunities. Expertise in revenue planning and forecasting.
- BS in Finance, Economics or Computer Engineering/Science; MBA preferred.
- Passion for translating next gen technology opportunities into operational excellence and revenue growth.
- Strategic thinker who is smart and creative, will have the experience to design and execute a strategic roadmap for a business unit that operates within a dynamic marketplace.
- Low ego needs and ability to lead through influence.
- An outstanding, hands-on executive leader with proven managerial abilities, organizational talent, team building and well-developed operations and negotiation skills.
- Extraordinary communication skills; commanding presence, with the ability to influence constituencies across internal functions, customers and partners.
- An executive with deep integrity, a team-centered orientation and a collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Self-starter and comfortable with independent execution.
- Exceptional analytical, strategic and critical thinking skills; demonstrated success delivering business value through applying innovative and analytical, problem solving techniques.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and comfort dealing with ambiguity. A flexible leader who can navigate the company through complex and diverse situations.
- Ability to provide and receive straightforward feedback.