Title: Head of Technology Innovation and Planning
Location: United States
Company: The company is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers.
Relationship: This position reports to the Vice President, Global Technology and Supplier Strategy
Specific Responsibilities: The Head of Technology Innovation & Planning will be in the driver’s seat of the world’s best Network and Technology organization and continue to shape its future through strategy, innovation and incubation. This executive will be responsible for creating the technology strategy for the Fortune 20 company and developing transformative technologies that will shape its future. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Identify disruptive tech, incubate and accelerate innovations with focus on Network Automation, Open Source, Next generation RAN, Core and Intelligent Edge.
- Drive overall technology awareness and develop technology strategy for the company including IT, Network and product portfolios.
- Coordinate build vs. buy, develop architecture recommendations and perform Platform evaluations in partnership with other technology and product teams.
- Partner with senior executive leadership to define, launch, and drive strategic and technology initiatives. Provide strategic direction and thought leadership for driving technology transformation
- Drive distributed cloud effort within the Network organization in collaboration with wireless and product teams; own the development of cloud infrastructure models, PAAS platform evaluations, and build test beds and testing experimental workloads.
- Structure and execute initiatives by developing work plans, gathering and synthesizing relevant data, leading analyses and developing final recommendations. Drive recommendations from inception to implementation and results.
- Develop means of demonstrating & showcasing the company technology to external partners, thought leaders, VC’s, regulatory bodies to generate interest.
- Work with innovation lab teams to incubate and accelerate validation of the technology.
- Support the development of detailed business cases for new products that includes competitive analysis and total cost of ownership of technology.
- Conduct periodic reviews of technology advancements and standards. Drive technology development and ideation in timely manner.
- Lead multiple technology teams focused in innovation, cloud platform development and product architectures.
Qualifications: This executive will have a deep technical understanding of the wireless and wireline technologies, along with understanding the competitive landscape and technological and business trends. He/she will manage complex, competing priorities by leveraging strong engagement skills and will effectively collaborate and influence strategic direction by raising visibility of trends, issues and opportunities across the organization. Critical to this role will be an acute attention to details with the ability to connect the dots and ensure key business deliverables are met. Qualified candidates must have the following:
Technology / Innovation
- At least ten years’ relevant experience within telecom, cable, cloud or in the key technology supplier organizations.
- Expertise in distilling technology options and developing technology strategy and implementation, as well as creation of effective action plans.
- Understands wireless and wireline network technologies, industry, technology advances, market and competitive trends and business drivers.
- Expertise in network function virtualization and orchestration efforts.
- Experience working on open source platforms.
- Broad understanding of the emerging technologies; ability to predict market trends and focus on high impact initiatives that capitalize on future opportunities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of solution architecture within web and mobile environment. Knowledge of web/internet related technologies, architecture across SAAS, PAAS and IAAS and cloud productivity suites.
- Track record of designing large scale infrastructure, platforms and operating models and significant background in information technology development.
- Has multiple examples of successfully managing projects – owning issues and risk decisions on an ongoing basis.
- Proven ability to identify opportunities to streamline processes and create efficiencies.
- MS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Innovation, venture capital interactions, product development & launch and M&A/integration experience are a plus.
Communication and Leadership
- Extraordinary communication skills; commanding presence, with the ability to influence and to effectively present to technical and non-technical audiences, engaging C-Level in business and technology transformation.
- Track record of working closely with and providing recommendations to senior management including Technology Leadership, and Product and Business organizations.
- Proven leader with ability to inspire and grow teams to their full potential in a technology environment across cross-functional teams. Ability to operate with enthusiasm and flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving team environment.
- Experience in highly visible roles with ability to present compelling ideas and influence across all levels of management and across the organization.
- Inherently curious and passionate about technology.
- Energized by identifying opportunities that help build new strategies and drive results.
- Ability to quickly learn, understand, and work with new emerging technologies, methodologies, and solutions in the Cloud/IT Technology space.
- Exceptional analytical, strategic, and critical thinking skills; demonstrated success delivering business value through applying innovative and analytical, problem-solving techniques. /li>
- Hands-on, “roll up your sleeves” executive leader with the ability to be a driver and change agent in an organization.
- Results-driven: Laser focus on building an organization that not only meets, but exceeds, the needs of a rapidly scaling business and delivers measurable results.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and comfort dealing with ambiguity. A flexible leader who can navigate the company through complex and diverse situations and requires minimal supervision.
- Collaborative: Ability to expertly lead enterprise-wide initiatives that span across business units with competing priorities.
- Ambitious: A self-starter, eager to tackle the organization’s toughest problems.
- Mentor: Natural ability to guide and coach other employees to achieve their potential.