Title: Member of the Board of Directors
Company: PE-backed distributor of home accent and home décor-related products in the United States.
Location: Southern California
Role & Responsibilities: The position on the company Board of Directors is for an individual who has the interest, experience and capacity to work with a leading company in the home décor consumer goods industry and who can collaborate with and mentor a driven management team while being an objective sounding board to best serve stakeholder (management, PE firm, customers and employees) interests. The Board Member and Operating Advisor will also partner closely with both the CEO and private equity firm to further help drive business objectives and growth for the company.
Ideal candidates will have a proven record with the following experience and accomplishment.
- Former Founder, CEO or Division President level responsibility within a consumer goods company that sells to retailers (B2B) and P&L responsibility for businesses of at least $100 million in revenue or prior experience as a Head of Sales for a $500 million business.
- Prior experience partnering with a private equity firm and leading a company through to a successful exit (sale or IPO).
- Experience growing a company from early stage and selling a company to private equity would be a plus.
- Long term and successful results demonstrating sales growth and profitability.
- Prior earlier career experience in sales/marketing before becoming a General Manager would be a plus.
- Ability to commit to 4-5 Board meetings a year in Southern California and participate in a brief weekly conference call. The ability to provide additional consulting as needed would be preferred.
- Prefer an executive who is currently based in Southern California or within a one to two hour flight.
- Prior Board experience would be a plus, but not required.
- Responsibilities and expectations include, but are not limited to:
- Actively participating in regularly scheduled Board meetings and associated Committee and telephone meetings as appropriate, with a high emphasis placed on in person attendance.
- “Guide, not decide”: be a collaborative resource for the Company’s management team, providing experience-based insight to the Company’s business challenges and strategic issues.
- Engaging in the Company’s strategic planning process.
Personal Characteristics: The ideal candidate will have the following critical characteristics and behaviors:
- A committed and dynamic leader, capable of independent thinking and fact-based decision making who can be both a coach and a mentor to the leadership team;
- An active and involved board member with an entrepreneurial spirit who seeks to make a difference by bringing additional experience and insight to the Board;
- Strong strategic, business development, and general management skills, with seasoned business judgment supported by a breadth of experience;
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to be effective with other Board members and executive management;
- Experience and passion for an extensive business environment and the value of a diverse employee base; and
- An impeccable reputation for honesty and integrity.