Title: Vice President, Customer & Retail Experience
Location: East Coast
Company: One of the world’s largest broadband and telecomm companies, and global leader delivering innovative communications and technology solutions
Relationship: This position reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Specific responsibilities: The VP, Customer & Retail Experience is responsible for the overall store experience and design for 2,000 direct stores as well as the concepts for over 15,000 indirect shops. He/she will deliver a re-imagined customer service experience, resulting in a seamless customer journey that focuses on all touch points of the retail environment – from the physical space, to the in-store digital experience, to the fixture design and development. Additional responsibilities include:
Reinvent the company’s store experience across all touch points:
- Drive innovation around the store experience by creating new benefits, services, and experiences within
- Develop and roll out an effective journey map for in-store customers that address current gaps in the customer experience as well as new offerings tied to the company’s digital applications and the store design
- Incorporate measurable performance indicators and metrics in order to track and leverage quantitative and qualitative insights on the store experience
- Develop a deep understanding of consumer behavior, needs, and emotional connections – ensure these are translated into the store concepts and design
Create the new company store design:
- Ideate and execute new concept development for the physical design and décor of stores, including fixtures, furnishing designs, and architecture
- Oversee the design of any physical space with partners or for sponsorship events (i.e. brand footprint in an NFL stadium)
- Coordinate, influence, and oversee the execution of store design plans in partnership with the operations teams
- Manage vendors through design development, prototyping, production, and continuous improvement opportunities
Lead visual merchandising and in-store communication efforts:
- Develop new store merchandising layout design; define and clarify the merchandising concept and stylistic direction
- Develop and define the visual presentation strategy for basic standards, promotions, events, and product launches
- Build strong partnerships and effective relationships throughout the field to align support for visual merchandising and brand initiatives
- Understand merchandise trends and use the information to develop strategic plans resulting in effective visual merchandising execution
- Manage budgets to ensure effective use of capital
Establish a reputation as a visionary leader within company’s marketing team:
- Champion customer advocacy, advising executive management team on how best to align business objectives with customer rights and needs
- Build a best in class retail experience team and culture
- Lead a highly motivated and collaborative team to develop a culture that drives innovation and strategic growth, taking calculated risks
Marketing and Business Leadership
Ten years in consumer marketing with specific experience in retail, store design and or visual merchandising. At least five years in senior-level leadership roles within best-in-class B2C companies. Experience building and leading teams of at least 20. Embodies an incredible passion for consumer product and services subject matter, applications, and content.
Proven experience in building innovative, proactive, high impact retail experiences that drive a best–in-class customer experience, brand awareness and loyalty. At least 5 years experience participating in the design, planning, implementation, and execution of a new store concept and design. Has a specific example of developing and executing, or heavily influencing a new store journey map and store design with proven results seen in customer experience metrics. Demonstrated success partnering with operational teams to execute on store design and development. In tune with customer’s needs and desires while shopping and has a keen aesthetic on design.
Innovative and Forward-Thinking Mindset
Creative and out-of-the-box thinker. Can provide examples of tying physical design concepts to the customer’s digital experience. Demonstrated track record of identifying emerging trends and unmet consumer needs within the retail experience.
Leadership and Talent Management
Highly energetic and passionate leader with an entrepreneurial spirit, thriving in a fast-paced, high growth environment. Proven ability to articulate inspiring vision as well as deliver business transformation and enterprise-wide cultural change, and strong performance. Demonstrated ability to navigate complex environments with a track record of building and fostering credibility and alliances. Effectively communicates and presents ideas to others in a manner that achieves clarity, buy-in, commitment, and success. High comfort level with ambiguity and fluidity; ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment, achieving quality results.
Education: A bachelors degree is required; an MBA from a top business school is preferred.
Personal characteristics: The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Customer-focused: Passion—verging on obsession—for the small details that shape the customer experience
- Results-driven: Laser focus on building a customer-centric organization that achieves marketing excellence and delivers measureable financial results
- Collaborative: Ability to expertly lead enterprise-wide initiatives that span across business units with competing priorities
- Empathetic: Deep innate understanding of customer needs, and able to translate this to an improved customer experience
- Entrepreneurial: Talent for initiating innovative organizational changes, combined with a “get things done” attitude
- Open-minded: Seeks out opposing viewpoints across the company
- Culture-driven: Takes ownership of nurturing a customer-centric culture
- Ambitious: Eager to tackle the organization’s toughest problems
- Mentor: Natural ability to guide and coach other employees to achieve their potential
Compensation: The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package, which will be commensurate with experience, and will include a base salary, annual target bonus, and equity.